Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"My" Bible





My daughter woke up earlier than usual today and as such, proceeded to watch me go through my morning routine. She watched me start the coffee, let the dog out, wash my face and brush my teeth. She followed me back to the kitchen where I prepared MY cup of coffee with plenty of fancies to make it taste less like coffee. ;o) Then, she proceeded to ask, "Momma, what do you DO this early in the morning?"  Chuckle. :)

I said, "Well, I have my coffee and read my Bible." Now, I'm not sure why, but that phrase of "read MY Bible" stuck in my head today. See, I read God's Word on my laptop because there is a fabulous website (www.biblegateway.com) that I LOVE because it has all these reading plans, different translations and devotions and I LOVE it! However, when I said the phrase "read MY Bible", I had a fleeting momentary sadness because I always remember my momma having HER Bible at the ottoman beside her bed. It was always open to the place she was reading that day and it was worn and tattered from all the good use. I used to have a Bible like that years ago and granted, I still do have several Bibles, but I realized, I don't really have a "MY" Bible anymore....

I have a Bible that I take to church because it's in a special case with my sermon notes book. I have a Bible that I do my studies with because it's in the translation that goes with the workbook. Yet again, I have several other Bibles that have devotions written in them, special translations I thought were cool and Bibles that were gifts from friends and family, but are any of them really "MY" Bible? No. :'o(

Wow, how very sad what this age of technology has taken from me, I thought to myself. I have no Bible with pen marks and highlighted Scriptures. I have no well-worn areas from reading them over and over. Instead, I have a laptop that pops up the exact page of my last reading. Chuckle. I suppose I could create a shortcut on my desktop for the page of my favorite translation on (www.biblegateway.com), yah? ;o) In my momentary sadness, I had another profound thought. Would you like to hear it? Of course you do, it was rhetorical, darlin'. ;o)

Lord, I'm so very glad You'll always be "MY" Savior, no matter the age of technology or renaissance we face here on earth. I never concern myself with whether or not You are here with me or whether or not You are "MINE". I know it, plain and simple...

"For Jesus doesn't change—yesterday, today, tomorrow, he's always totally himself." - Hebrews 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment