Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

The Bread Dough


I don't like to check my work. I was terrible about checking my work in Math class and the fact that I didn't do this step often reared it's ugly head especially in multi-step problems. However, I have learned the hard way that checking your work is a vital step. An example you ask? Of course I have an example! :o) 

When my husband and I married nearly 11 years ago, we received a bread machine for a wedding present with a cute little box of bread mix to go with it. What a wonderful gift for a newlywed! Easy peasy in the kitchen and still be able to look like a pro. Well.... the people who thought up this idea had never seen newlywed Nell in the kitchen before. ;o/

We'd been married two weeks when I decided to get the bread machine out of the box with it's little box of bread mix and give it a go. The only thing I had to do with the mix was dump it in, add the water and turn it on. Piece of cake right? Or should that be piece of bread? ;o)

The recipe on the box called for one cup of water on top of the dry mixture. Somehow in the steps to and from the sink with the measuring cup, I got it into my head that I only needed one third of a cup of water. Of course, I didn't see it was a problem when I poured the water in and turned it on. I walked away for a few minutes and came back to peer in the little window on top of the machine. I looked in and thought, "Uh-oh, that doesn't look right." So, I did what any newlywed would do. I said, "Babe, I need your help!  This doesn't look right to me." So, the dutiful husband entered the room and looked in and pronounced things just fine. He said, "Hon, it's okay, I'm sure it looks weird until it's risen."

So, I walked away for a few more minutes. Came back and looked in again and this time, the would-be bread mixture looked really bad. And again, I called for my husband. "Babe, I'm serious! Something isn't right here." Big sigh from the husband and he came to look again. Only this time he said, "Hmmm, no I guess that doesn't look too good, does it?" So, we got the box and checked and I saw my mistake. Sigh again. My hubby suggested I just throw in the extra water and see if it would just go ahead and finish working the dough and bake up okay. "It'll be fine," he said. "Just pour it on top and let it finish the cycle." So, I did.

I'm sad to say that what we ended up with was not a loaf of bread, but rather all of the mixture condensed into what looked like two slices of bread smashed together. What do you think my hubby did? Yep, you guessed it! He ate it. He's such a sweetie. :o) I have to say it was a most humiliating experience and the first of many, many kitchen blunders for me. ;o) However, as I thought about it, it made me wonder.... as I often do..... :o)

I often have a plan the Lord has so carefully laid out for me with clear instructions and somehow in a very short period of time, I have it all very messed up, but I'm not able to see the problem until it's too late, sigh. I take a look and something doesn't seem right, but there's nothing for me to "put my finger on", so I do nothing. I come back again and I know something isn't right, and by the time it occurs to me to check my Instructions, it's royally messed up.... I gotta check my Instructions a little more often because even when I can't figure out exactly what's wrong, I know my Instructions will provide the guidance needed to remedy whatever blunder I've gotten myself into, kitchen appliances included or not. ;o)

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,  that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment