Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

The Doctor's Visit

My youngest daughter had an interesting first two years of life. Lots of doc appointments, a couple of surgeries and too many ER visits in my humble opinion. Like most moms, I pretty much had her medical history, complete with dates and diagnoses, memorized. I also had memorized what medicines she was taking, what she was allergic to, which antibiotic gave us a hard time, etc. This effort made the appointments, scheduled or not, flow much smoother, believe me! ;o) If you don't believe me, here's a pic of her with her lovely broken arm at 14 MONTHS OF AGE! The youngest orthopaedic patient in Bellevue, Nebraska ever! I was so proud... ;o/

One day, she had to go to see the doc, again. This particular time, I had another visit already scheduled for one of my other kiddos, so the responsibility fell to my husband. He was extremely nervous about taking her alone as he wasn't the one who had it all memorized, so I gave him a pep talk about the above info and at his insistence wrote several things down as to what he should ask the doctor, what she wasn't able to take, what the doctor should know, etc. I was very emphatic that she not be given a particular antibiotic because of a previous bad experience. I sent a happy little girl and a very nervous daddy out the door. The story that followed is one I'll never forget... :)

The doctor came in, checked my little one out, pronounced the diagnosis I had told my husband would more than likely be pronounced and proceeded to move on to treatment. As the doc was going over the instructions for the medication, my husband stopped her and said, "My daughter can't take that antibiotic." The doc, of course, began to question the reasons why, was she allergic, etc. My husband, growing very frustrated because he wasn't really all that sure as to why she couldn't have the antibiotic (cause I neglected to tell him) finally looked up at the doc and said, "I don't know, 'cause my wife said so!" Before the doc had a chance to speak, my husband said emphatically, "I have a NOTE!"  Well, the room was filled with women as the doctor was female and she was training two nursing students who were ladies as well, so as you might imagine, they all found a tremendous amount of humor in my husband's frantic reply. My hubby did say they had the good decency to cover their giggles with their clipboards. ;o)Thankfully, the doctor was particularly understanding about a daddy trying to take over for a momma for one day and read over the note with my hubby and they managed to find a medicine that would work for our little girl. Thank the Lord for understanding doctors! :o)

Have you ever wanted to holler those words when taking a stand for righteousness? I can remember many a time when I didn't do something just because I knew it wouldn't be a good thing. During those times, the appropriate Scripture to back up my decision complete with chapter and verse hasn't always come to the forefront of my mind.  I have fought back the feeling of frustration my husband had that day in the doctor's office, "I have a NOTE! I don't know why I'm not supposed to do this, but I just know I'm not supposed to!"  

The Holy Spirit is my note-taker. :o) He's so good at it. Even during the times when I cannot remember Scripture word for word, He nudges me and checks me. He keeps those notes for me and reminds me of them even when it's little more than a prick of my heart that something isn't right. It's kept me out of some unpleasant situations with unfortunate consequences. I'm so thankful for my notes and the One who keeps them for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment