Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

A Fresh Perspective...


A fresh perspective... I often ask the Lord for this when things become a drudgery in life and I begin to feel as though my life is having no impact for the kingdom of God. A fresh perspective... don't ask for it unless you really want it... :o)  Let me give you an example of a perspective I really didn't need to know...

I used to be an after school caregiver when I was in my late teens and early 20's. The hours were perfect for my schedule as I was a full time student and I enjoyed working with kids very much, still do. :)

It was one of my responsibilities to "show the ropes" to new employees and help to familiarize them with the after school program. Now, mostly, I had to orientate females, so one day, when a young man showed up at my desk, I felt myself rather unnerved as I often did around the opposite sex in those days. I managed to pull myself together and even sound more than a bit normal as I walked him around... I think.  ;o) We found ourselves in the younger school age classroom and spent some time with the kiddos coloring their latest artistic masterpiece, all the while, I was chattering about this policy and that paperwork, etc. I looked up to find one of the young boys studying me and the young man and I smiled.

The little boy took that as his cue and said, "Ms. Nell, are you and Mr. "So'nSo" gonna get married?" Tension filled pause..... Clearing of throat....
"Um, well, no sweetie, probably not, I just met him five minutes ago." I said with a smile on my lips, still managing to sound normal... I think.  The little boy nodded and went back to his art while the young man and I exchanged an awkward glance and nervous laugh. All was well until the little boy lifted his head again with a thoughtful expression.
He said, "I really think you should. You know why?" Sigh.
I said, "No, sweetie, why?"
"Well, it's only natural..." came his reply, "YOU HAVE MATCHING MOUSTACHES!"

I'll give everyone a moment to stop laughing, sucking in your breath or whatever other shock and / or hilarity response you might be having.... All done now? Okay, let's move on. :o)

My  response was to grab the little boy and give him the "noogie patrol" and then tickle him until he begged for relief. I looked up to see the young man had completely covered his face with his coloring page and all I could see was a bit of bright red and bulging veins near the papers' edge. Sigh. As I'm sure you've guessed, he never asked me on a date!  Can you blame him? ;o)

Ahhhh, the fresh perspective a child can offer. It's wonderful isn't it? At the time, I thought it was about as wonderful as being dunked in a vat of battery acid! However, as the humiliation of that moment has waned over the years, I have found much joy in the perspective of a child and the sheer delight it has often brought me. God gave us our children to bring delight and joy to our lives. God gave us our children to give us a glimpse of the perspective of a wonderful place.... heaven.   Oh! And I'm currently petitioning God to outlaw all facial hair once I get there. :D
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” -  Matthew 19:14

1 comment:

  1. this is so very true. thank you for sharing this today..... it made me smile think :) have a blessed day! (visited from Amy's Finer Things) :)

    ReplyDelete