Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Eeney, Meeney...

Eeney, meeney, miny, mo
Catch a tiger by his toe.
If he hollers, make him pay
Fifty dollars everyday.
My mommy told me to pick this one,
And you are not it!

"Mommy!" hollered my youngest one morning.
"Yes'm?" answered the trying-to-get-on-the-road Mommy.
"I can't decide which books to take!" said the frustrated little girl.
"Well, take the ones you haven't read yet." said Mommy
"But there are FIVE that I haven't read yet and you said I could only take TWO!" said the little mother of melodrama.  Sigh.......
"Well, 'Eeney, meeney, miny, mo' is your only option at this point then." came the practical reply.
After giving me a look that informed me the answer given was not the one she was hoping for, 'Eeney, meeney' was rattled off to pare down the choices in front of her. Thankfully, she's a reasonable child usually ;o) and she was able to make a decision with the help of the oft-repeated chant used at our house. Ah, the school yard chants, aren't they the best?

My hubby and I had a little "school yard war" the other night much to the delight of my children. If you'd been at my window, you'd have heard things like... 

"I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you!"

What is it about these little chants that gave us such power when we were kiddos? I'd pop out one of those little phrases and walk away feeling like I'd just whupped up on Goliath! They gave me the power to make a decision all by myself, gave me the power to walk away from snotty-faced teasing by recess bullies. I was sitting and musing about this when another rhyme flitted across my mind...

"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me!"
Some emotionally-constipated fool coined this phrase!  Words can absolutely hurt you. I don't know of another force on planet Earth that can have the same destructive effects as words can have on human beings. This Scripture is one I memorized as a child....
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."   Ephesians 4:29

Truth be told, I often wrote this Scripture as some sort of discipline or other because of my complete lack of wholesome talk! I had a mouth and I knew how to use it! The playground was a place where I found myself in more than a few unpleasant situations with me and my mouth as my accomplice. Sigh, not my fondest memories. You'll be glad to know the Lord has taught me (and is continuing to teach me ;o)) a bit of self control. When I consider my words and their abilities, I am reminded of something very important...

His Words carry a power and a might I never could've dreamed.
His Words about me are things I've only wished someone thought about me.
His Words are what flows out of this vessel He chooses to use to bless others.
His Words - better than any playground rhyme I could ever conceive.
 Thank You, Lord for giving us Your Words.

1 comment: