Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Reuben Sandwich

Had something the other day I've never had in my life... a Reuben sandwich...well, I guess what I had is actually called a Rachel cause I didn't know any better and I used pastrami instead of corned beef, but anyway! I LOVED it! Have you ever had one? No? Okay, I'll tell you about it! ;o) 

It's basically a sandwich made of two slices of rye bread with corned beef (or pastrami ;o), Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing. If it's my house, we fry up the meat and sauerkraut separately on my griddle, melt the cheese on top and then make a panini out of the whole thing in the grill pan. Add potato chips, a pickle spear and you're ready to go for a yummy taste sensation! We all so enjoyed those sammies!

Now, having said all that, may I be truthful? I don't care for the parts of a Reuben sandwich and my family has helped me paint pictures with their facial expressions as to my feelings about the parts of the Reuben sandwich... I'm sure you'll enjoy... ;o)

Rye bread isn't the most wonderful thing I have ever put inside my mouth. It's got a bit of whang to it, in my opinion.
Jordan agrees!

Pastrami is a little too peppery of a sandwich meat for my liking.

Chloe doesn't do anything spicy!

Sauerkraut standing alone makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little...
My hubby understands my revulsion...

and Swiss cheese, well... let's just say the memory of how my feet smelled when I was 12 pops into my mind anytime I open a fresh pack. Seriously, you don't want to know... ;o/

Abbi does NOT want to think about how bad
my feet must've smelled!
Thousand Island dressing is the only part of the sandwich I would ever desire on purpose! So, I was more than a little skeptical when my hubby posed this idea because I pretty much knew how I felt about all the above things and how on earth could these things be good all smashed together? However, he assured me I should give it a try and in the interests of being a good example for my girls about dinnertime behavior, I graciously consented. In my humble opinion... ;o) All the parts to this particular sandwich are gross! However, when you put all the parts together, the whole is fabulous!

I don't know why, but all these pictures of my family's silly faces made me think of the mouth. The mouth is a very dangerous part of the body, isn't it? Guess that's why the Bible declares it an unruly evil! I have a responsibility as a Christian to "speak the truth in love" to those around me and well, this does often require the use of my tongue.

Now, like this deli sandwich I've described, unfortunately the parts to my "speaking the truth in love" are sometimes gross all by themselves, particularly my choice of words, sigh. :o/ My words have been known to fly out of my mouth and burn those closest to me when remarks are caustic and believe me, when you are a witness to it, you'll find it gross! Not to mention the poor souls who are the recipients! Sheesh.

Timing and attitude... ahhh, my Thousand Island dressing...  I know these are considered "non-verbals", but they play a very crucial role in my tongue's life. Sometimes if I can't find the perfect words, if my attitude is heart-felt and my timing is chosen carefully, then the words seem to have an easier time being swallowed by whomever is doing the swallowing. If a heart change happens because of something I say with proper, although maybe not perfect words, humble attitude and well-chosen timing, then the whole of the situation is God-pleasing and isn't that fabulous? ;o)

"Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ." - Ephesians 4:15

No comments:

Post a Comment