Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Big Waves




Last summer, we took our family on an extended vacation to a beach house on the coast in Port Aransas, TX. Of course, we chose the week of a nasty hurricane hitting the area we were staying in and it caused no small amount of stress for my husband and I who were worried about it ruining our vacation we'd paid hard-earned money for.

I was gently explaining the situation to our four girls, concerned they might be sad for all the rain and wind ruining what was supposed to be sunny days spent on the beach relaxing and having fun. I had just got to the part about "severe weather" and "hurricane-like winds". Just as I was about to begin consoling them with promises of fun shore activities like museums and amusement parks, my Whitley (all the way from the back of the van) yells out, " Big WAVES, people!" The atmosphere in the van suddenly turned from one of morose quiet and despondency to one of raucous laughter and rejoicing at the thought of surfing those humongous waves we were going to be getting.

I turned around in my seat dumbfounded to see my husband's shoulders shaking from silent laughter. My children amaze me sometimes. The times I think they will be the most upset, those are the times they are just fine with a situation. The times I think an incident won't phase them, those are the times of devastation! Hmph, I think they just enjoy making a liar out of their momma! ;0)

Okay, back to the point! Big waves, Big Waves, Big Waves! Oh yes, did we ever have some big waves that week! There were a few scary times, like getting caught on the freeway that was nearly washed completely over with flooding, that was not fun! However, I have to say the girls made the best of the situation and after I got over my shock, I was so proud of how quickly they adapted to the situation and chose to relax and still have fun! :)

Am I that flexible when God has a "big wave" come crashing through my life? Mmm, I think not! I don't like my routines and schedules messed with and don't even start on my lists! I recently heard a man pray, "Holy Spirit, come and mess up my plans." I nearly broke into hives just thinking about that! Do I really want the Lord to have His way in my life so much that I'm willing for my plans to be messed up? I'm thinkin' I have some work to do... How 'bout you? ;0)

"In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Do not quench the Spirit." - 1 Thessalonians 5:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment