Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

In His Grip


I am not a fan of the illustrious "apple slicers". All because one day I purchased one, so excited at the possibility of slicing through an entire apple with one fell swoop, less work, less mess, ahhhh, the possibilities!

The problem came with the fact that I tend to be somewhat cheap cost conscious and I purchased a version of the slicer that had a very loose rubber grip for the handle, only I didn't realize quite how loose it actually was. The second or third time I went to use the slicer, as I pushed down with all my weight, my thumb pushed the rubber grip completely out of its' grooves and instead of the metal tines slicing through the apple, they sliced through my finger. I truthfully can't remember if I tried to wash the blood off the apple and eat it or if I threw it away. I know, kinda gross, huh? Not to mention the fact that it scared the gizzard out of me when the grip came loose and pushed through. Grips are not SUPPOSED to come loose and push through! That's why they are called grips, people! Seriously?!? Breathe, Nell...

Anyway, I haven't used an apple slicer since, I'm traumatized. I prefer a different method of slicing through an apple to remove the core and I'm able to do it with pretty amazing speed if I do say so myself. Plus, my girls think I'm really cool when I whip through an apple. ;0) Okay, to the point, Nell! Did I mention that I have Adult ADHD? Okay, well, just so you know and don't hold it against me... It's Rachel Ray's slicing method if you're wondering...
Anyways!  FOCUS Nell!

As I was thinking about the rubber grip hanging by a thread -  so to speak -  from the apple slicer, it gave me pause (as weird things often do inside my brain)  and I thought of my pastor's closing to every single letter, email or correspondence I ever saw him send out - "In His Grip". That's how he ends all his writings and every time I read those words, it blessed me. I guess because it reminds me how completely sure my Jesus' grip is on me. I'm not concerned with His grip being too loose. He never lets go and I don't have to worry about Him getting tired, frustrated or bored with me. Even during those times when my own grip has become weary, I can feel Him holding me tight, never letting go... never... not for a minute...
"Let the whole world bless our God
and loudly sing his praises.
 Our lives are in his hands,
and he keeps our feet from stumbling."
 - Psalm 66:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment