Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

God Wants Us To Be Kind!




When my youngest was about 3 years old, she attended the preschool where I worked as a music teacher. She loved going to class with her friends and told me something nearly every day she had learned from her teachers. She often came home with a Bible verse  or some truth from God's word she had picked up from their circle time. It was wonderful to see her little mind absorbing the concepts of Biblical living at such a young age. I have to tell you a story about one time that was not so wonderful. ;0)

One day, I walked past the playroom to see she and her older sister in a wrestling match over a stuffed toy. Now,  I'm not a mom who jumps in between every argument with her children, so I stayed just out of sight to see if they would be able to work it out, or if I would have to step in to avoid blood stains on the carpet when my husband came home from work. Now, mind you, her older sister has a very strong grip, a good 6 inches and about 20 pounds on the kid, so what I saw and heard next about sent me over the edge... of laughter!

In the midst of the struggle, my youngest seemed to possess a Herculean burst of strength and she managed to wrest the toy from her sister's hands and punctuated these words - "GOD wants us to be kind!" With that, she gave her big sister a "hmph!" and a satisfied nod that she had rectified the situation and put her sister in her place. I managed to hold it together until I was out of earshot and then had a very good giggle over the whole thing. I then did manage to act like a responsible adult and I  opened a dialogue very quickly about kindness and what that word meant and how it wasn't okay to use God as a way to win a fight! Ahhh, the joys of raising my children....... :0)

"God does want us to be kind, honey but using that phrase just to get your sister to give up the toy isn't really appropriate." said the momma who was really wondering how in the world to put his into terms a 3 1/2 year old could grasp.

"Tha' not 'popwiate, Mommy?" said the little girl who was desperately trying to understand what her momma was saying to her and wondering what kind of trouble she might really be in.

"No, baby, it's not and you need to go apologize to your sister for how you acted." Off she went to find her big sister and apologize for said fight. A few minutes later the two of them came skipping down the hallway, happy as could be, friendship restored, a new game of "horsey" already in the works. Wish all my arguments were reconciled that easily and quickly... sigh. :0)

The Lord's loving kindness is far more 'popwiate. ;0) It endures forever and is very great toward us, His children. So, let's give Him some praise, people! I know you're at your computer, but that's okay, He doesn't care where you are! Praise You Jesus!!!

There. Don't you feel better now? I do. :)
"O praise the LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people. For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD"
- Psalm 117:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment