Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Cupcakes & Pit Stops




              & 








Cupcakes are the dessert of choice around my house for birthday parties at school. One day a couple of years ago, we were headed to the store to get just that for my youngest's birthday celebration at school the following day. I wanted to make a pit stop and exchange a blouse at a local department store (and get a secret present ;) before choosing her cupcakes and birthday drink. As we got out of the car, she began tearfully, "Momma, I wanna get my cupcakes." I immediately started to reassure her and said, "We will, baby, let's go in this store really quickly..." Before I could finish my sentence, she turned around angrily and said in a plaintive voice, "There are no cupcakes in there!"  and pointed at the department store we were walking toward. 

In spite of myself, I laughed out loud with delight at her very correct assertion and began to explain what we were doing inside the store and her cupcakes were the very next errand. She, of course, protested just a bit before allowing me to pick her up and carry her inside. She then laid her head on my shoulder and sighed. ;) Thankfully, she's a pretty cooperative sort and went off with one big sister while her other big sister and I went about my errand (and got the secret present;). As I promised, our very next errand was her birthday cupcakes and she squealed with delight as we picked the ones she wanted. Birthday treats are so important! ;)


I can't think how many times I've protested when the Lord seemed to have a bit of a pit stop before getting to the place I desired. Of course, He always gently reassures me as He picks me up and carries me when I'm tearfully protesting this cannot be the right spot. He's so faithful, so patient and just like I delight in my daughter's perspective, He delights in me. I've learned He gives me the things I desire within the scope of His will, but I often have to participate in a few pit stops first and it's my job to delight myself in Him in the meantime.  Sometimes, there's even a secret present I'm not counting on! Although, it isn't often cupcakes... hmmm... ;0)
"Delight yourself also in the LORD,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart." - Psalm 37:4 

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how much I love reading your blog!!!! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete