Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

A Most Unholy Contraption!



Ever been on a roller coaster? I have.

I've only ridden a few, but I do have an opinion about them.  I detest them.

My first ride on a roller coaster was when I was 6 years old. It was a miserable experience and I made quite certain my parents knew I wouldn't be doing it again any time soon! Recently, I got on a roller coaster again... sigh. It was for my children! We were at Six Flags without the help of Daddy or big sisters and they really wanted to ride this thing - it was the Judge Roy Scream. Now, for those of you who are avid coaster fans, I'm quite sure you are already laughing at me because this is considered a very mild roller coaster; however, when you have an aversion as strong as mine, even the mildest ride can unglue ya!

So, I found myself in line for this ride and I convinced myself it couldn't be bad, it had a green sign! (Six Flags rating for mild ride intensity) As I fastened my seat belt, I think I finally believed this ride would be no big deal. Wrong-o! As the car climbed the top of the very first hill, I felt the sweats, shakes and sincere remorse at this not-very-well-thought-out decision begin to overtake me. My answer? Prayin' to my sweet Jesus at the top of my lungs! My youngest was sitting next to me and I think she probably regretted that particular decision along with the decision to even get on this thing because she seems to have the same aversion as her momma.

As we crested the hill and began the rapid descent, I felt my heart go up into my throat which I shoved back down with a mighty, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! YUCK!
  •  I detest the feeling of free falling and holding on so tight I can't feel my arms! 
  •  I detest the feeling of my feet having no firm place to stomp in protest! 
  •  I detest the feeling my poor stomach is put through during the upward climbs and rapid descents and whatever other jerking and gyrating goes on! 
Now, I can't help but notice some parallels with my feelings about roller coasters and an issue with which I struggle- insecurity. This particular subject has caused me more than a few unpleasant rides, shall we say? The difference? Glad you asked! ;o) 
  • When insecurity causes me to fall, I don't have to worry about holding on tight because Jesus holds me tight.
  • I've never met an insecurity that could shake my firm footing when I'm standing on The Rock, even if I'm stomping in protest. ;o) 
  • Lastly, when the stress of insecurity tries to "do a number" on my internal organs, I'm strengthened by the grace of God to withstand even the most unsettling of circumstance.
Now, I know this Scripture reference is lengthy, but it is so perfect and I urge you to read it all the way through and not give up in boredom.

Psalm 91 from The Message

 You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow,
Say this: "God, you're my refuge.
I trust in you and I'm safe!"
That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
shields you from deadly hazards.
His huge outstretched arms protect you—
under them you're perfectly safe;
his arms fend off all harm.
Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
not flying arrows in the day,
Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
not disaster that erupts at high noon.
Even though others succumb all around,
drop like flies right and left,
no harm will even graze you.
You'll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance,
watch the wicked turn into corpses.
Yes, because God's your refuge,
the High God your very own home,
Evil can't get close to you,
harm can't get through the door.
He ordered his angels
to guard you wherever you go.
If you stumble, they'll catch you;
their job is to keep you from falling.
You'll walk unharmed among lions and snakes,
and kick young lions and serpents from the path.

"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
"I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you the best of care
if you'll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I'll give you a long life,
give you a long drink of salvation!"


See! I told you it was perfect! Aren't you glad you read till the end? Jesus has the answer to every problem, folks, even roller coasters! ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment