Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Slimy Hairs and Simple Prayers



My youngest is in the beginning stages of washing, conditioning and rinsing her own hair. Now, much to her dismay, I still require her to wait until I check her hair before she does any of the above steps on her own. Most of the time she cooperates with that rule, until one evening..... ;0)

One evening, she decided she was big enough to do it all by herself and came out from the bathroom in record time completely dry, dressed and hair combed out. To myself I thought, "Hmmm..." To her, I said, "Wow, babe, why didn't you call me to come check?" She lifted her head, smiled her winning smile and said, "I can do it, Mommy! I can do it all by myself!" I simply smiled and said "Okay." Pick and choose those battles, right? Well.... um.....

About 30 minutes went by and it really seemed like her hair was drying very slowly this particular evening, although it didn't completely register with me what happened until I heard my 9 year old call out, "Uh, Mom... there's slime in Chloe's hair." Up from the chair I went directly to the playroom where they were fully engaged in Barbie's workday. As I got closer, I saw it - white slimy streaks all around the crown of my daughter's head and it still looked shiny wet. As I put my fingers through it, I nearly squealed with the grossness of it all! Not-all-the-way-rinsed shampoo mixed with really-not-all-the-way-rinsed conditioner and then air dried for about 45 minutes is a disgusting trio of errors, let me tell you! "Back to the shower, sister." said the assuredly-annoyed-but-trying-really-hard-to-be-patient mommy. She hung her little head in defeat and headed to the hall bath where Mommy remedied the slimy situation in about 5 minutes.

"Mommy?" she said in a quiet voice as I was drying out her hair with the towel.
"Yes, baby." I replied continuing to dry and brush in even strokes.
"Do you think I'll ever be big enough to wash my own hair?"
"Yes, darlin' you will, but for now, could you just be my baby a little bit longer?"
I was rewarded with a big grin and a nod and a rather wet-headed hug. ;0) Ahhh, she'll be my baby a little while longer... (tear, sniff) 

I don't know why, but thinking of this memory challenged me in a different kind of way. How often do I just enjoy my babies being my babies a little while longer? Do I willingly assist when they need my help or do I fuss at them about responsibility? In my zeal to teach, instill and prepare, do I miss the times of just being Mommy and baby? So, instead of some Scripture, I just felt like I needed to pray, hope that's all right. :)

"Lord, please guide my heart in raising my girls. Thank you for the charge to teach them about You and Your Word and prepare them for adulthood - I don't take it lightly. Balance me, Lord. Cause me to enjoy their presence and their lives. Help me to be blessed when they need me and refuse the aggravation that sometimes replaces the blessing. I love You..."

No comments:

Post a Comment