Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Hot Dogs




Hot dogs. The staple of any decent 4th of July picnic. An all American food, yes? Well... not for this all American girl. Blech. I do not like hot dogs or "tube steaks" as a friend of mine frequently referred to them whenever he and his wife would be serving them to company. Sounds fancier, you understand. ;)  I know you are beside yourself with wonder at the reason for my lack of hot dog love. Well, okay, maybe not beside yourself, but well, just go with it. ;0)

I'll keep you in suspense no longer. ;) I ate hot dogs on a very regular basis growing up. They were cheap and my family wasn't the richest on the block. Then, as I was working my way through college, I ate hot dogs again on a very regular basis for the same reason. There were many weeks in college when hot dogs were on the menu more than once - way more than once. Now, while I was always taught to be thankful for the fact I had food on my plate and it was more than what many folks had, I can still remember looking at the hot dogs and having to swallow back an involuntary gag reflex. So, now I'm just plain sick of eating them and I can't do it. Can anyone relate? I feel the same way about Ramen soup and cheese in a can. Shudder. Now, there is one exception for hot dogs. I can eat a chili dog about two or three times a year. I don't know why, but I get a craving for an all beef hot dog smothered in good old-fashioned Hormel chili, cheddar cheese and red onion on top - a lot of red onion!  Honestly though, with the exception of the afore-mentioned every few months chili dog, the thought of eating a hot dog still makes me want to gag. Literally.

I am so very thankful God's Word is nothing like hot dogs. Reading God's Word is amazing to me because I can read the exact same passage of Scripture and learn completely new things every single time. The books of the Bible are written in a variety of formats, some historical, some poetic, etc. However, even though the formats are different and they were penned to the paper by different men, they were all inspired of the Holy Spirit. How multi-faceted our Father in heaven is! His Word is our spiritual nourishment and instead of growing tired of the same old fare, we can look forward to a new taste every single day even though it might be the same dish!


"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that all God’s people may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 

No comments:

Post a Comment